Model: Phantom V
Coach Builder: James Young
Body Type: Touring Limousine RHD
Body Color: Maroon/Black
Upholstery: Gray leather with cream piping
After 20 years since 40/50 HP Phantom III production had ceased in 1939 when WWII broke out, Phantom V debuted in 1959. With the improved model Phantom VI. The model had been on the throne of the automobile industry until in the 1990s. At the time of Phantom V, you could choose H.J. Mulliner or and James Young body other than Rolls-Royce subsidiary Park Ward Limousine which was a kind of semi-standard for Phantom V chassis. many of them known as a one-off or very limited production. This beautiful limousine, with body number PV15, is known as one of those by James Young.
James Young is a coachbuilder established in 1863, in Bromley, Kent. It was a coachbuilder company for carriages until the early 20th century as their shop name was called “Bromley Brougham”. In 1908 they started making classy bodies regularly for automobiles not only on high-end British car chassis of Alvis and Lagonda but also of Alfa Romeo from Italia and Bugatti from France.
In 1937, James Young went under the wing of Jack Barclay, a prominent Rolls-Royce and Bentley car dealer, and presently known as the world’s largest and the oldest Bentley car specialist car dealer. Consequently, they have become a coachbuilder entirely for Rolls -Royce and Bentley cars but a few exceptions. This Phantom V Touring Limousine, known as PV 15 and another Phantom V, PV23 are their masterpieces among many saloons.
James young stopped producing coach built bodies after 1967 when they produced 50 of 2 door saloon conversions of Silver Shadow/T-series. Their name remained as a special automobile division of Jack Barclay. Their heyday works, PV 15 and PV 25 Phantom are now said to be the motives of 2017 Rolls Royce 8th generation Phantom and collecting much attraction again today.
This PV15 Phantom V, having two headlamps is an extremely rare 1961 model among all the scarce James Young Phantom cars because Phantom V received a facelift in 1963 to have four headlamps.
Fully restored relatively a long time ago but meticulously maintained. The Two-tone color scheme on the body and gray leather seats with ivory leather piping are kept in good condition.